NoveList Help Sheet: Working with Youth
What is the Working with Youth page?
The Working with Youth page is where teachers, children’s librarians, and others who work with kids and teens can find useful curriculum-related resources. You can access this page from the Especially For drop-down in the top toolbar.
Sections of the Working with Youth page
My kids want to read…
Here, you’ll find Recommended Reads lists and Readers’ Advisory articles for those kids that want more “just like” their favorite book.
My kids have to read for school…
This section is designed for parents, teachers, and anyone who works with youth. Select the appropriate age level from Teens (13-18), Older Kids (9-12), or Younger Kids (0-8). Each age group section contains a variety of resources to supplement or enhance a child’s educational experience. Some of the materials you can expect to find are:
- Readers’ Advisory articles: Featuring tips, tricks, and advice from the RA experts to help you find books that will capture and captivate.
- Recommended Reads Lists: These book lists cover a wide variety of genres and topics across reading levels.
- Curricular Connections: Written for librarians, teachers, or parents looking for new titles for students, more books to connect reading across curricular areas, or ways to engage younger readers with books, each article presents a genre, subgenre, or topic along with hand-crafted annotations for the titles mentioned.
- Grab and Go Book Lists: These curriculum-based lists focus specifically on the topics most useful for students, teachers, and librarians. Each list includes titles that are suitable for the topic, well-reviewed, and in print when the list is created. They are regularly updated to ensure that titles included are accessible to teachers and librarians.
Tell me more about…
From this section click the appropriate icon to view resources:
- Programming: This page houses a variety of useful articles to help you with programming for your library. Best practices, guides to popular books and series, and steal-able ideas are all found here.
- Matching readers with books: Brush up on your RA with the articles and lists in this section.
- Ideas for educators: On this page, you’ll find Picture Book Extenders, Curricular Connections, Recommended Reads Lists, and more to help inspire educators.
This section is designed for those who are looking for something specific, like Awards, Books-to-movies, resources for Common Core, information about genres, and Lexiles.
- Awards: Clicking the Awards link will take you to the Awards page. Get information about recent award winners and popular awards for teens and children.
- Books-to-movies: Ever popular with kids and teens, this link takes you to a list of recent books-to-movies.
- Common Core: Clicking the Common Core link takes you to the Common Core page. Here you’ll find a variety of helpful resources relating to Common Core, specially designed to meet the standards for grades K-7. Note that this link in only available in NoveList Plus and NoveList K-8 Plus.
- Learn About Genres: These brief primers tell you everything you need to know in order to work with a fan of any genre. Available for Teens (ages 13-18) and Older Kids (ages 9-12).
- Lexile Chart: Use Lexiles to find books that are at an appropriate level of difficulty for your child or student.
Kids & Books Newsletter
This free monthly newsletter is an informative resource for anyone who works with children’s books or the kids who read them. Each themed issue includes tips to help you improve your juvenile collection and keep you up to date with the latest news and trends among younger readers.
|Topic:||Interface Features, Database Products and Content|
|Services:||NoveList, NoveList K-8, NoveList Plus, NoveList K-8 Plus|